Monday, September 30, 2024

Sunday, September 29th, Honolulu, Hawaii



Greetings!

Pat and I are a world apart.  She's with a girlfriend (Barbara Tomin) in Luca, Italy on a trip of Tuscany and Umbria.  I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii (12 hours apart).  We flew out two days ago, and fly back on October 13th.  Same Airporter bus down to SFO, same back.  A little strange to get off at Terminal 3, with her staying on to the International.  

I'm staying the full 15 days at The Beach Waikiki by ALOH (Youth Hostel), one block from Waikiki.  It didn't take long to get in the water, getting out was harder.  I'm satisfying my 4yr-old child, whose time was mostly spent in the shorebreak waves in La Jolla, loving the sand between my toes and the water caressing my body.  But what was exciting about not being in control then, is a bit terrifying now.  These 76 year-old muscles don't present the same thrill when they have to fight harder to maintain a balance and convince me that I'm safe.  A lifetime of understanding the power of the sea has passed since my first immersion, and that interferes with the childhood joy.  

When I checked into the Hostel, the desk staff mentioned that the facility had an informal rule that they would accept those from 18 to 48.  Older travelers complained about the noise at night, and uncomfortable mattresses.  I wonder what my roommates think of the midnight pee runs, and my disinterest in sharing dating tips or rooftop drinking.

Last night, I created


"Waikiki Play".  While out on a breakwater pier, enjoying the scene of young swimmers, body-boarders, and other beach-goers, I took some photos and videos.  One of the young swimmers who used the waves breaking over the rocks to her physical delight caught my attention.  It reminded me of exactly what I came here to do.  I think it will evoke the sense of free play most of us experienced as children.

To see all of the photos taken today, click on Sunday, September 29th, Honolulu, Hawaii.

No comments: