Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Monday, Feb 14th, Hue

Greetings!

Before I get to today's post, I want to help the Nguyen Sisters learn how to access permanently their YouTube video.  Here is the direct URL for the Nguyen Sisters Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_9RBQ3VNbs).  I'm going to send it to them in an email, but I thought I'd include it here for a few days in the beginning of our daily posts in order for them to not lose the link.

On our way south of the DMZ, we have begun to travel through the South Vietnam that meant something to me once long ago.  The town names are familiar, having hosted air bases, or places I used to travel through.  Hue and Danang are such towns.  Hue has a rich history for Vietnam, and our visit included viewing the pagodas, palaces, and burial tombs of major characters – as well as a stay overnight in a spacious, elegant hotel in the center of the best shopping district.  We met up with members of our Cambodian tour, who were halfway through their Vietnam tour – and heading north from Saigon.  They assured us that the weather would get warmer as we went south, and that they had enjoyed each stop so far.  We gave them the same reviews of the northern stretch, and we all went on our way happy.

The road to Danang brings to coast of Vietnam into view.  And by coast, I mean surf.  You’ll see some photos of the surf, and I’ll apologize if they aren’t as stunning as the rest of the shots.  I just wanted an excuse to look at the waves, even if they are pretty choppy and cold.  The clean sand and palm trees make it look a bit more inviting than it is.
After dinner tonight, Pat bought two embroidered art pieces for our walls, even though we have run out of room to display them.  Good sense kept us from buying a larger one we were salivating over. 
To see the photos from today, click on: Monday, Feb14th, Hue

Gregory



















No comments: